On Tuesday, we presented information about gross motor, fine motor,social and language development to the doctors and caregivers at the orphanage. We also discussed the importance of vestibular and sensory stimulation for the children with special needs. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of speaking through a translator. I am still amazed by our translator! She is one smart woman! That seems like such a difficult job to me.
We had a very attentive audience and we got to answer some questions during and after the presentations. It was fun to work together with them so that the children with special needs can get the care they need.
After the morning of presentations, we had lunch at the orphanage with the director and his wife and a few doctors and caregivers. They were so kind and gracious and we were able to see that we have a really good relationship forming with them. We talked about continuing to partner together in the future and you can really tell that they want what's best for the children. They were also interested in our families and personal lives. They asked question after question about Norah's birth and our time in the hospital when she was born. There seem to be a lot of differences in our culture surrounding the birth of children and it was interesting to discuss the differences with them.
This was also the day they brought a little girl and little boy to us who needed to be adopted soon. (I cannot use their names on this blog). The little girl has Downs Syndrome and the little boy has Spina Bifida. They melted our hearts as they played together like brother and sister. The little boy was so sweet to the little girl, calling her by her name over and over and giving her hugs and kisses. The little girl recited a poem for us and they told us she liked to dance. She wasn't really up for dancing for us though because there wasn't any music playing :)
We have since found out that this little boy and little girl have families who are coming to adopt them soon. The family who is adopting the little boy have been in the process since January, but it was just unknown to the orphanage director until now. That explains why they were trying to find homes for them. I really bonded with this precious boy and am so glad he has a wonderful family to go home to. I could see joy in his eyes and he has such a sweet nature. He has a bright future ahead of him. I think he will always hold a special place in my heart. I have gotten to be in contact with his (adoptive) mother and their family was so excited to receive recent photos and videos of him. They were able to see that he is doing well, playing, walking in a walker, and could see his cute personality as he played with us for awhile. I'm excited for you Christine!!
We also got to visit another part of the orphanage with some sick children. We have found ways to improve the environment in this area so that the children receive some stimulation from things like music and mobiles. Our hearts broke as we saw such sick children without mother or father to care for them. At the end of the day I received this email from Ross, very timely considering our day...
When we get to heaven and these little ones that you are with are fully restored in body and mind…we too will testify that Jesus is the light of the world as we see they have been healed. They will have gone through trials in this life so that the work of God might be displayed, and I believe our loving God will reward them for it in heaven.
Take heart that Jesus loves them…He created them…He permitted this to happen so that He might receive glory. The story doesn't end in this lifetime. The story doesn't end in hopelessness. The story doesn't end in dark rooms. The story ends in His light which is full of love and salvation.
He also typed out John 9:1-5 which illustrates these thoughts.
Here are some pictures from this day in Ukraine...
We had a very attentive audience and we got to answer some questions during and after the presentations. It was fun to work together with them so that the children with special needs can get the care they need.
After the morning of presentations, we had lunch at the orphanage with the director and his wife and a few doctors and caregivers. They were so kind and gracious and we were able to see that we have a really good relationship forming with them. We talked about continuing to partner together in the future and you can really tell that they want what's best for the children. They were also interested in our families and personal lives. They asked question after question about Norah's birth and our time in the hospital when she was born. There seem to be a lot of differences in our culture surrounding the birth of children and it was interesting to discuss the differences with them.
This was also the day they brought a little girl and little boy to us who needed to be adopted soon. (I cannot use their names on this blog). The little girl has Downs Syndrome and the little boy has Spina Bifida. They melted our hearts as they played together like brother and sister. The little boy was so sweet to the little girl, calling her by her name over and over and giving her hugs and kisses. The little girl recited a poem for us and they told us she liked to dance. She wasn't really up for dancing for us though because there wasn't any music playing :)
We have since found out that this little boy and little girl have families who are coming to adopt them soon. The family who is adopting the little boy have been in the process since January, but it was just unknown to the orphanage director until now. That explains why they were trying to find homes for them. I really bonded with this precious boy and am so glad he has a wonderful family to go home to. I could see joy in his eyes and he has such a sweet nature. He has a bright future ahead of him. I think he will always hold a special place in my heart. I have gotten to be in contact with his (adoptive) mother and their family was so excited to receive recent photos and videos of him. They were able to see that he is doing well, playing, walking in a walker, and could see his cute personality as he played with us for awhile. I'm excited for you Christine!!
We also got to visit another part of the orphanage with some sick children. We have found ways to improve the environment in this area so that the children receive some stimulation from things like music and mobiles. Our hearts broke as we saw such sick children without mother or father to care for them. At the end of the day I received this email from Ross, very timely considering our day...
When we get to heaven and these little ones that you are with are fully restored in body and mind…we too will testify that Jesus is the light of the world as we see they have been healed. They will have gone through trials in this life so that the work of God might be displayed, and I believe our loving God will reward them for it in heaven.
Take heart that Jesus loves them…He created them…He permitted this to happen so that He might receive glory. The story doesn't end in this lifetime. The story doesn't end in hopelessness. The story doesn't end in dark rooms. The story ends in His light which is full of love and salvation.
He also typed out John 9:1-5 which illustrates these thoughts.
Here are some pictures from this day in Ukraine...
Ready to present

Karen presenting on gross motor development

Carmen doing an excellent job presenting on language and social development

Kym speaking about vestibular stimulation on the therapy ball for affect :)
Trying my best to talk about fine motor development...I had some coaching from Kati (an OT)

Some of our attentive audience
A photo with the director's wife, 2 doctors, and our translators
Our lunch discussion
Reciting her poem
He loved being up walking, you can see it in his eyes and smile :)

Look at this little gentleman! He is taking her hand and you can actually see Karen's heart melting.

I loved snuggling this little angel


We all took turns playing with this little guy. He was bursting with energy and had all of us laughing.
My turn!

Amanda's turn



3 comments:
Kate,
Thanks again for sharing! I love what was written in italics so much, that I hope it is okay that I borrow it.
Hope you are having a good week!
Kate
It was so wonderful to hear that the caregivers have really took note of your teachings and supplies for the kids since the first visit. I'm so glad the kidos are getting more stimulation than they were. I too had to comment on what Ross had said in your email, it is so true and I try to remind myself of the same thing daily as sometimes it is so hard to understand. You both are such great examples of God's love.
Kate, happy Easter. The Lord has risen indeed! Are you staying with us next weekend? What a joy it would be to have your family here. I cannot wait to see you guys. My heart is with you dear friend.
Love you.
Post a Comment