Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Day Squirrel Hunt

I (Ross) was changing Norah's diaper this morning when I heard Kate yell down the hallway, "I JUST SAW A SQUIRREL IN OUR BEDROOM!"

We proceeded with 30 minutes of squirrel hunting until we cornered the rodent in our basement laundry room. The only victims were a few of our stairs that received direct hits with squirrel pee.

Kate posted guard to make sure it didn't get back upstairs while I went in fully armed with an opened umbrella for a shield and one of my new fireplace tools for a weapon (thanks for the Christmas gift Mary!).

I was sure it was amongst our garage sale pile, having checked behind the washer and dryer twice. But then after hitting the dryer hose with my fireplace utensil, the squirrel emerged from underneath. I very bravely jumped on top of the washer and dryer while yelling and swinging the fireplace utensil in the squirrel's general direction.

It made a quick exit into the garage not wanting to mess with me or my weapons. It was last seen sprinting across the street. I hope it tells the rest of the squirrels in the neighborhood not to mess with us...

We believe that it fell down the chimney.

Needless to say, Norah is very proud of her squirrel hunting parents! Her parents however are a bit skiddish around the house today...never know what is going to be around the corner.

6 comments:

Angie Cleary said...

How funny! My first laugh of the day! That squirrel must've be NUTS!
Happy New Year!

The Elliott's said...

How funny! I would have freaked out and left the house. Love the pictures!!

The Wilburn Family said...

This is a real LOL! Hope your new friend is long gone by now!!

Mandy said...

Nice! have Jordan tell you the story of the possum underneath our deck sometime :)

Amy said...

I am cracking up!!! Once when Bryan and I were dating, he had a squirrel get inside his condo and it was running up and down the stairs and this floor lamp...also it ate some crackers. We tried to catch it in a live animal trap. And finally ran it out, but my only item of defense ended up being a wire hanger. Those things are SCARY....

Carmen said...

I am picturing Ross on top of the washer and dryer with his weapon, and I am LOVING it!!! This is one of the best blog posts I've ever read!